Wednesday, August 30, 2017

South Sudan Civil War

About a week ago I was watching the news and on the bottom of the screen I noticed a headline that mentioned the South Sudan and how millions of people have been displaced by the civil war. My first reaction was shock because I had no idea that there was even a civil war happening in South Sudan let alone that millions of people were suffering, so I decided to take this opportunity to learn a little bit more about this humanitarian crisis. I found an article in the New York Times which you can find here: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/17/world/africa/south-sudan-refugees-uganda.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Fafrica&action=click&contentCollection=africa&region=stream&module=stream_unit&version=latest&contentPlacement=15&pgtype=sectionfront  From this article I learned that every day refugees, mainly women and children, are flooding into Uganda to escape the ethnically motivated violence. I am in complete disbelief that this war has been going on for four years now and I am just learning about it now. I can't help but think; why does it take millions of people losing everything including their lives to get a mere mention on an American television news network?

No comments:

Post a Comment